Puppy breath is sweet…but that stinky breath grown dogs get is NOT at all.
Let’s talk about some ways to help you solve your dog’s bad breath problem.
If you’re in a hurry –
We’ll take a look at the causes of bad breath in dogs, the symptoms, the treatment… and then how to prevent that bad breath from coming back.
How to Correct Bad Breath in Dogs
We often smell bad breath in our dogs and simply think it is because of something they ate. Although this can be the reason, chronic bad breath, or halitosis, can be a symptom of a more serious medical problem.
The most common causes of bad breath are teeth and gum problems. Plaque and tartar buildup are dental problems that can lead to periodontal disease. Small dogs, such as pugs, Pekingese and Boston terriers, are highly susceptible to gum disease because their teeth are spaced closely together.
In some cases, halitosis can be caused by trauma, such as by chewing on something. Cancers and inflammation in the mouth and esophagus can cause foul odors.
Certain types of infections and the food he is eating can also be the culprits.
in the picture:
TruDog – Spray Me – Dental Hygiene Spray for Dogs- Reduces Dental Plaque, Tarter, Build-Up, and Bacteria in Your Dog’s Mouth that Lead to Bad Doggie Breath- No Brushing Required- Eliminate Your Dog’s Bad Breath
Foreign objects in the mouth can cause smelly breath. Check your dog’s mouth for any grass, plants, bones, hair, sticks or other stuck objects. Eating garbage, spoiled food or dead animals can cause an offensive smell. Some dogs engage in coprophagia, which is the practice of eating one’s own feces, so this could be a cause of the odor.
Even your dog’s regular diet can be a cause. Some dogs are unable to properly digest some foods, which can leave some partially chewed food stuck in the mouth or on the tongue.
An offensive odor is typically the only symptom, unless a more serious medical problem is present. For example, if your dog has dental problems, you may notice loose teeth, blood in the mouth or changes in eating patterns. If your dog has diabetes, you may notice an increase in drinking and urinating. If he has been vomiting and his eyes look yellowish, that could be a sign of liver problems. Breath that has a smell of urine may be a sign of kidney disease.
The vet will ask you questions about your dog’s general behavior, diet, oral hygiene and exercise routine. He or she will also examine the dog’s mouth and look for any signs of tooth or gum problems. In some cases, mouth X-rays may be performed. If the vet believes that a more serious health condition is present, blood work and other tests will be performed.
Treatment will depend on the diagnosis. If gum disease is the cause of the halitosis, the vet will perform a thorough cleaning of the teeth. He or she may also remove teeth that are severely damaged. If the problem is caused by your dog’s diet, you may need to switch to another brand of food. If the foul odor is caused by a more serious problem, surgery, medications and long-term management may be needed to keep the condition under control.
There are many things you can do to keep your dog’s breath smelling much nicer. These include the following:
Schedule regular vet visits for your dog. Even if your dog looks and acts fine, an annual checkup can prevent any serious health problems before they cause harm and become costly.
Brush your dog’s teeth often. There are toothbrushes and toothpastes made especially for dogs. These toothpastes come in flavorful varieties to make brushing fun. Although it is best to brush daily, even brushing weekly can do a lot to prevent painful tooth and gum conditions.
If your dog has had tooth and gum problems in the past, make sure you and your vet continue to monitor the situation. They can continue to crop up, causing foul odor in your dog’s mouth to return.
Hard toys offer your dog the opportunity to clean his teeth through chewing. Find safe toys and offer them to him often.
Dental treats are also good to offer frequently. These are formulated to reduce bad breath by removing plaque. There are also a variety of sprays, drops, gels and biscuits available to freshen breath.
Ask your vet for any tips or advice. In extreme cases, medications may need to be used to hide serious foul odor.
For Boston Terrier Lovers
Pin Any Image From This Page:
- Brilliant and Easy Baby Closet Organization and Nursery… Want to easily organize the nursery closet? Need some organization ideas, tips, hacks, and DIY inspiration to completely organize your baby's closet? You're in the right place! On this page…
- Small Kitchen DIY Ideas – Before & After Remodel… Tiny Kitchen DIY Ideas: If you have a tiny kitchen AND you're on a budget, a small kitchen remodel can seem almost impossible with limited space and limited funds. Good…
- Baby Led Weaning: My Experience, Tips, First Foods and Tips Ready to start baby-led weaning (called BLW for short or referred to as 'baby led feeding')? Here’s some advice and tips from a mom who knows how to do baby-led…
- 12+ Unique DIY Sensory Board Ideas for Toddlers Busy board ideas! Lots of unique DIY sensory board pictures and ideas so YOU can make a homemade sensory board for your toddler or baby. Have you thought about making…
- Farmhouse Kitchen Canister Sets and Farmhouse Decor Ideas Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to kitchen decorating idea, but you would be hard pressed to find many that do not like the cozy, welcoming atmosphere of…
- Mason Jar Cupcakes – Easy DIY Cupcakes in a Jar Looking for come creative cupcakes ideas? Take a look below at these super easy mason jar cupcakes recipes and DIY how to instructions I've collected on this page. We've collected…
- YETI Coolers – Worth It? Or Just Hype? (YETI Reviews… YETI ice chest coolers... worth it? Or over-priced hype? Here's what I found out. Everywhere I look these days, someone has a YETI cooler or tumbler or coozie…. it’s crazy!…
- Nutri Ninja with Auto IQ Blender Review Is the Nutri Ninja Auto IQ Blender REALLY worth the money and all the "best blender EVER" hype? Are there better blender options than the Ninja Auto IQ model? Is…
- Tiny Laundry Room Ideas – Space Saving DIY Creative… Tiny Laundry Room Ideas and Pictures: If you have a small laundry room in your home or apartment, you know the struggle is REAL trying to get the most out…
- Unique and Easy Thanksgiving Desserts – Fun &… When coming up with ideas for Thanksgiving desserts, your sure don't want to make the same ol thing, right? How about trying one of the unique and easy Thanksgiving dessert…