If you love dump and go crockpot meals, you will LOVE these 12 fail-proof crockpot roast recipes with 5 ingredients or less! Quick and easy to make ahead in your slow cooker so a yummy chuck roast dinner is ready when you are – the ultimate comfort food for cold winter nights (or no oven dinners)!
PLUS – I’ll share MY Crockpot Roast recipe that is seriously so simple, is cut-with-a-fork tender and has a delicious gravy because I use one cheap secret ingredient.
Updated on January 16, 2024
posts may contain affiliate links -Enjoy and feel free to share with your friends!
Ah, pot roast – how I love thee!
My family could eat pot roast every night of the week – myself included! I have my Old Faithful slow cooker roast recipe that never fails me (which I’ll share below), but I’ve been wanting to change things up just a bit – but not get crazy with fancy steps or long lists of ingredients.
Below you will find MY crockpot roast recipe I’ve been making for years plus 8 other crockpot roast recipe variations that all have 5 ingredients or less.
Crockpot Roast Cooking Tips
- Choose the right cut: While a beef chuck roast is the best cut for crockpot roast, I pretty much go with whatever cheap chunk of meat I can find on sale.
- Sear the roast*: You can make your roast extra tender by searing your roast before cooking in your slow cooker (however, I never do this).
- Season generously: Use a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning for a well-seasoned roast.
- Add vegetables: Include veggies like potatoes, carrots, and onions for added flavor and a complete meal.
- Cook the right amount of time: Aim for 4 hours on HIGH or 6-7 hours on LOW for a perfectly cooked roast and vegetables.
- Monitor liquid levels: Ensure there’s enough liquid (broth, wine, or water) to keep the roast moist during the cooking process.
- Layer Properly: Meat on the bottom, veggies on top (unless recipe specifies differently).
- Let it rest: After cooking, allow the roast to rest for a few minutes before serving for optimal tenderness.
* How to “sear” a roast before cooking in your crockpot: “searing” meat is very simple and only takes a few minutes. All you do is heat some olive oil in a pan and then brown the roast on each side for a few minutes. Searing is NOT fully cooking it, it’s simply an optional step to “trap” moisture in your roast.
As I said – I never do it. Totally defeats the magic of “dump and go” crockpot meals! I just wanna dump haha!
My Secret Slow Cooker Roast Recipe
If you want to make an EASY slow cooker roast with the least amount of ingredients that you literally just dump into your crockpot, you MUST tray my Old Faithful pot roast!
The gravy is so good you will want to drink it (or so I’ve been told haha!)
When I make a roast in my crockpot, I’ve always done it the EASIEST way. To be honest, it’s a LAZY crockpot roast recipe with the cheapest chunk of meat I find.
All I do is plop my roast in the crock, sprinkle some seasoned meat tenderizer over it, pour a can of Beefy Mushroom soup over the roast, then toss in some potatoes and carrots.
4 hours-ish on HIGH and my roast turns out perfect every time.
To save even MORE prep time, I’ll use those little baby potatoes and bagged baby carrots – just rinse and toss ’em in the crockpot. No peeling, slicing or dicing!
AND – if you don’t have any veggies on hand – just make the roast as directed, then whip up some instant mashed potatoes…. SO GOOD!
If I’m putting it together early in the morning, I’ll set it for 6-8 hours on LOW, but usually I’ll dump everything in the crockpot around noon, cook on HIGH for 4 hours then turn the crockpot to LOW until we’re ready to eat.
I don’t even take the roast out to “rest” before serving either – just serve it right out of the crock (yay for no pots and pans to wash!)
Besides, it turns out SO tender that it would probably fall apart if I tried to remove it from the crockpot.
Slow Cooker Roast Recipes
I’m not gonna lie, my Old Faithful Roast Recipe is an absolute crowd-pleaser, but lately I’ve been wanting to try some new twists on my same ‘ol same ‘ol pot roast.
Here are the super simple “dump and go” crockpot roast recipes that are really good.
Recipes in the image above (left to right / top to bottom):
Classic Pot Roast
This crockpot roast recipe is your basic slow cooked pot roast recipe with the basics as far as ingredients go: salt, pepper, beef broth, carrots and potatoes.
This is as easy as it gets to make crockpot roast – just dump and go!
Here is a quick video walk-thru showing how to make it – so easy!
Italian Beef Roast Sandwiches
Sirloin tip roast, Italian dressing mix, pepper rings [See Full Recipe].
Mississippi Pot Roast
Chuck roast, au jus gravy mix, ranch dressing mix, butter, pepperoncini peppers [See Full Recipe].
Simple Crock Pot Roast
Chuck roast, onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, carrots [See Full Recipe].
5-Ingredient Pot Roast
Chuck roast, potatoes, carrots, beef broth, seasoning [See Full Recipe].
Balsamic Glazed Roast
Chuck roast, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, soy sauce [See Full Recipe].
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Beef Tips
Ranch seasonings, Italian seasoning, gravy mix, beef broth [See Full Recipe].
Simple Onion Pot Roast
Chuck roast, onion soup mix, onions, beef broth, salt, and pepper [See Full Recipe].
More Crockpot Recipes
More Easy Dinner Recipes