• New Years Ideas for Families with Kids •
So here comes New Years Eve and you’ve got the kids – what to do on New Years Eve WITH the kids that is family-friendly and EVERYONE will enjoy?
We found some cute, fun, and easy New Years Eve party ideas that the kids will love AND you’ll have a good time, too!
I think it’s pretty safe to assume that we ALL will stay up late on New Year’s Eve (even the kids), have a blast at a party with family or friends, eat a lot of candy and food, kiss someone ‘special’ at midnight – and then wake up in the morning (after sleeping in) and watch a parade, catch a football game, and make some New Year’s resolutions.
That’s just how we all roll on New Years, right?
But let’s jump back to New Years EVE – what if you don’t have a sitter? Or perhaps you prefer to have a family-friendly New Years party WITH the kids.
What do you DO with the kids that is fun for the whole family?
Here are some fun and easy New Years eve ideas for families and kids:
1) Campout in the Family Room: Let the kids stay up late, and everyone sleep out in the family room together. Have a party – play games together as a family, get lots of candy, watch the ball drop, rent a movie, etc. – just have a fun night together.
2) Predictions & Guesses: Each person in the family writes down their predictions for the upcoming year: will their be a marriage, a new baby, what world events will happen, who will win an election, what team will win the Super Bowl, or any other significant world or family event. Write them down, collect them, store them, and then look at them the next year to see who was right.
Make a special candy treat to celebrate the New Year – the kids will love it!
Why let the kids do some special crafts on New Years Eve? It sure will keep them busy =)
3) Christmas ‘Thank You’ Notes: Get out some cards and everyone write thank yous to grandparents, family, and friends who gave gifts to you that year.
4) Turn the Clock Ahead: If you have really young kids, turn the clock ahead so that they can still enjoy the fun of celebrating the New Year, but still get to bed at a reasonable hour (which will make YOUR New years DAY much better!)
5) Gift Giving: Considering all the gifts that the kids received at Christmas time, have each child buy or make a gift for someone in need. Go to the local orphanage, homeless shelter, or to sick kids at the hospital – and give a gift to a child in need.
Turn New Years Eve into an extra-special family movie night where everyone gets their own snack caddy!
6) Winter Camping & Vacation: Go camping with friends or as a family … yes, in the winter time. Or, just make it a tradition to have a family winter vacation.
7) The Resolution: We all write resolutions that are kept for a good 3-4 days (right!). This year, choose just one habit to break, or one resolution to stick with, or one relationship to improve, or one talent to develop, etc. – and commit to it and DO IT!
8) Put Away the Christmas Decorations: Make it a yearly tradition to take down and put away the Christmas decorations together as a family.
You might even want to consider turning your Christmas tree into a New Year’s tree!
Have the whole family help UN-decorate the Christmas tree and turn it into a New years tree!
Have a neon GLOW party table for New Years Eve – the kids LOVE it!
9) New Year’s Meals: Every year, sleep in and have a large brunch and dinner as a family. But, ensure you have the same traditional meal every year.
10) Family Resolutions & Planning: In addition to writing personal resolutions, write and commit to some family goals. Perhaps it is spending more time together, each child helping around the house more, parents being more kind and loving, have more ‘family nights’ together, etc. Also, pull out the calendar and plan for significant events and family vacations in the upcoming year.
There are lots of inexpensive and fun family-friendly New Years Eve ideas, but above everything else… as long as you’re all together, that’s all that REALLY matters!
Happy New Year!
- Best Dinosaur Toys for Toddler Boys
- Dorm Room Ideas – DIY Dorm Room Decorating and Organizing Ideas
- Small Kitchen DIY Ideas – Before & After Remodel Pictures of Tiny Kitchens
- 14 Fun & Easy Halloween Pinata Ideas
- 8 EASY Crockpot Mac and Cheese Recipes (simple and delicious!)