Planning a kitchen refresh? Check out these kitchen cabinet makeovers before and AFTER painting (or REpainting) the cabinets. Plus, see the best kitchen cabinet paint colors – From timeless color shades, trends, most popular colors and two-tone painting to tips for painting your cabinets with some before and after pictures and ideas for your kitchen makeover.
Let’s take a look at the most popular kitchen cabinet paint color ideas this year. These before and after kitchen makeover pictures show what a difference painting your kitchen cabinets can make to the overall look of your kitchen.
Updated on February 5, 2024
posts may contain affiliate links -Enjoy and feel free to share with your friends!
Painted kitchen cabinets are a simple and affordable way to really update and refresh your old outdated kitchen on a budget. The kitchen cabinet colors below are bound to brighten any kitchen – large or small – they’re just gorgeous!
Finding the perfect kitchen cabinets color combination sure can feel overwhelming – SO many choices!
Perhaps you have brown cabinets in your kitchen now and you’re looking for some paint color ideas for your next DIY project? Maybe you want to paint your cabinets a shade of grey or paint them white?
Or maybe you’d really prefer to paint those cabinets one of these popular cabinet paint colors below (and they’re SO pretty!) – it’s a big choice when doing a kitchen makeover, but it’s a FUN choice!
Painting Kitchen Cabinets – Before and After
Nothing shows what a difference painting your kitchen cabinets can make them some great before and after pictures.
Just LOOK at what a dramatic difference painting your kitchen cabinets can make!
Even this small kitchen looks SO much better simply by repainting the cabinets!
Best Kitchen Cabinet Paint Colors
The best (and most popular) kitchen cabinet paint colors this year are:
- Dark Brown
But… BEFORE You Start Painting
Yes, I know – all those paint colors are GORGEOUS! It’s easy to get excited about a DIY project like this that will make your kitchen look SO GOOD.
But, this is not a tiny “quick” project, ok?
First, get a good idea of what color and what KIND of PAINT you will be using. HeirloomTraditionsPaint offers these paint color ideas:
Next, be SURE you understand all of the below BEFORE you start painting, or repainting, your kitchen cabinets:
- Assess the Condition of Your Cabinets: Before you decide to paint your cabinets, examine their condition. If your cabinets are old, damaged, or made of low-quality materials, painting may not be the best solution. In such cases, it might be more practical to consider replacing the cabinets altogether.
- Time and Patience: Painting kitchen cabinets is a time-consuming process that requires patience and attention to detail. Consider the size of your kitchen and the number of cabinets you have. The more cabinets you have, the more time and effort it will take to complete the project.
- Proper Cleaning: Properly cleaning your cabinets before painting is crucial for a successful paint job. Grease and grime can prevent the paint from adhering properly. Use a degreaser or a cleaning solution specifically designed for cabinets to remove any dirt or grease buildup.
- Surface Preparation: To ensure a smooth and long-lasting finish, it’s important to properly prepare the cabinet surfaces before painting. This typically involves sanding the cabinets to create a rough surface for the paint to adhere to. Use an ultrafine sandpaper (around 220-grit) for the best results.
- Choosing the Right Paint: Selecting the right type of paint is essential for a durable and professional-looking finish. Consider using a high-quality paint specifically formulated for cabinets. Acrylic urethane paint is often recommended for its durability and stain resistance.
- Color and Style: Think about the color and style you want for your kitchen cabinets. Take into account the overall aesthetic of your kitchen and consider how the new color will complement the rest of the space. You can even opt for a two-tone color palette to add visual interest.
- Tools and Supplies: Make sure you have all the necessary tools and supplies before you start painting. This may include brushes, rollers, drop cloths, cleaning solutions, and primers. Having the right tools on hand will make the painting process smoother and more efficient.
- Consider Professional Help: While painting kitchen cabinets can be a DIY project, it’s important to assess your own skills and comfort level with the task. If you’re unsure about your abilities or if you want to ensure a high-quality result, hiring a professional painter might be a good option – especially if you’re not really a do-it-yourself kinda person.
Let’s take a look at some pictures of these kitchen cabinet color ideas that go with white or black countertops, white appliances, gray walls, for small kitchens and big and before and after painted kitchen cabinets makeovers.
Pictures of Painted Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re looking for cabinet paint color ideas for your kitchen, take a look at the slideshow below of GORGEOUS kitchen cabinet color ideas!
More Popular Kitchen Cabinet Colors
Kitchen cabinets colors are becoming bolder and brighter this year. Unique and entertaining hues can add a distinctive quality that makes your kitchen stand out from the rest. Professional color experts say the next trends are shades of purple, yellow and orange make a beautiful statement while contrasting the usual white counter tops.
Purple is a truly attractive and fine-looking color to use and is a popular choice – but it’s a little TOO bold for me.
Yellow is another well-liked selection because it is a homey, relaxing and comfortable. Yellow also has surfaced as a well liked choice because it is a bright, refreshing color and really brighten up a small kitchen.
Even orange brings a warm, calm and tranquil feeling to any kitchen.
A deep blue is always an amazing color idea for painting your kitchen cabinets – very clean and eye-catching.
When incorporating appliances you can get a bright-colored refrigerator or stove to incorporate it with any base color like white. When using bright colors, white is always the best color choice for a base color.
You can even get creative and incorporate an alternate color cabinet technique with yellow and white accents – or even top cabinets one color and your bottom/lower kitchen cabinets a different color.
Integrating bright vibrant colors can make a strong impact when it comes to kitchen cabinet colors. You can also use glass to add further definition to a creative kitchen design. A glass table or kitchen island can really bring out the contrast and add clarity to any color scheme.
We are seeing lighter bright colors on the forefront of kitchen cabinet colors. In the not too distant future we will probably see light blue cabinets, kitchen sinks, floors and faucets. It’s a bold look, but it works.
These new exiting colors will also start popping up on the wall and floors of the new kitchens.
It bridges the gap between the contemporary kitchen cabinets and compliments a kitchen design with stainless steel cookware and appliances. You can take these color suggestions when deciding on your kitchen cabinet colors. It can truly compliment any home design.
How To Paint Your Cabinets
Here’s a quick tutorial video that will show you how to paint and refinish your kitchen cabinets.